When it is raining outside, creations like this happen in my kitchen! Once you try these banana oat squares drizzled with a peanut butter and yogurt ‘icing’, you will never go back to store bought granola bars again.
Banana Oatmeal Squares with a Peanut Butter and Yogurt ‘Icing’
Ingredients (Makes 16 squares)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp plain fat free yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper.
- Mix chia seeds and water together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix oats, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the bananas, apple sauce, sugar, and vanilla extract until fully mixed.
- Stir the chia seed and water mixture into the banana mixture. Fold the dry ingredients until they are just mixed in. Don’t over mix.
- Spread into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before adding the ‘icing’. Cut into 1.5 inch squares.
- To prepare the ‘icing’, microwave the peanut butter for about 10 seconds or until a runny consistency. Mix in yogurt and then drizzle over squares. Enjoy!
- Put bars in a freezer container and freeze. Whenever you are craving one, remove it from freezer and let thaw at room temperature before eating. If you can’t wait that long, simply put it in the microwave and defrost it for about 1 minute and it will be ready for you to enjoy. I personally enjoy them best when they are a little warm.
Nutrition Tip: Mixing 1 Tbsp chia seeds with 3 Tbsp water and letting it sit for 5 minutes can be used in replace of an egg in recipes.