I have received nothing but thumbs up with this recipe, and I’m sure you won’t be any different! You will find this coffee cake is really simple to make and is perfect to take to any family gathering!
Blueberry Whole Wheat Coffee Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter, soft
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, apple sauce, butter, and oil until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until fully combined. Beat in the vanilla and yogurt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in two batches, stirring until just combined. (The batter will be really thick)
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the nut mixture over the batter and top with the blueberries, gently pressing them into the batter. Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over the cake, pressing gently.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut cake into 2-inch squares.