I promise that this will be the best hummus you have ever had! It’s so simple to make and is perfect for a veggie or cracker dip, sandwich spread, or even add a bit to your salad for a little extra protein.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 (19 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp italiano seasoning, plus garnish
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Seed and core peppers and slice into quarters (lengthwise).
- Line cookie sheet with foil and place peppers on it. Leave space between each and place an oven rack about 4 inches below broiler. Broil peppers for 10-15 minutes until nicely charred.
- Remove from oven and place peppers in a gallon size sealable bag or sealed container. Seal and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Peel peppers, cool completely and then dice one and a half of the peppers (6 quarters) into 1 1/2 inch pieces (heaping 3/4 cup). Dice remaining pepper into small pieces, set aside.
- To a food processor, add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, italiano seasoning, and cumin. Pulse for 2 minutes, then scrape down sides and bottom of processor.
- Add the olive oil and large pieces of peppers. Pulse for another minute, and then add 1 Tbsp of water to thin and pulse 1 minute longer. (if you want it thinner, you can add another 1 Tbsp of water)
- Plate and make wide indentation in center portion of hummus, top with the remaining small diced pepper. Garnish with italiano seasoning.
- Serve with pita chips, crackers, veggies, or use as a sandwich spread. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.