Give this lighter version of a typical cheesecake a try without sacrificing the taste you love! Indulge in this coffee flavoured dessert…even if you are not a coffee drinker!I promise you will love it!
I think it would be good to try the base from my ‘Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake’ in replace of the base in this recipe to make it even healthier.
Café Au Lait Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 6 Tbsp + 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp gelatin
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup dream whip or whipping cream
- Combine wafer crumbs and melted margarine and blend well. Place in a 9 inch glass pie plate, pack down firmly and refrigerate.
- Puree cottage cheese in a blender just until smooth.
- Combine 6 Tbsp and 2 tsp sugar, gelatin, and salt well in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk, then egg yolk. Set over low heat and stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in instant coffee and vanilla. Cool by setting in ice water until mixture begins to thicken slightly. Stir in cottage cheese and chill again until mixture holds shape when dropped from a spoon.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add 2 Tbsp sugar, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Prepare dream whip according to package directions and beat until stiff. Fold into coffee mixture. Fold in egg whites. Pour over base and chill. Garnish top with chocolate curls.
Note: To make chocolate curls, take thin shavings of a warm square of chocolate using a vegetable peeler. I garnish it before I place it in the refrigerator to allow it to set.
*Recipe taken from Brescia University College’s Principle of Food Science lab recipe book.