It’s that time of the year again…fresh Ontario peaches and blueberries!! I have a tendency to buy more than what I can eat before they start to spoil because they are THAT good, but that just gives me reason to get into the kitchen and create some new recipes for all of you!
When I started this recipe, my goal was to create a granola bar with a fruit filling in the center, but the finished product was just as good or even better! These peach and blueberry squares are like a healthier version of a date square…give them a try before the end of the season and I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Peach and Blueberry Squares
- 3/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 3/4 cup flaked quinoa
- 1.5 cups large flake oats
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp hazelnut extract
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1.5 Tbsp honey
- 8 medium peaches, peeled
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8×8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel and remove stone from peaches, but keep the skin.
- In a large bowl, combine flax seed, ground almonds, quinoa, oats, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add peanut butter, honey, hazelnut extract, and peach peeling and mix together with dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mash peaches with a fork to make mushy, but avoid making into juice.* Add blueberries and mix together with peaches.
- Place 2/3 of the oat mixture in the pan and firmly pat down until bottom of pan is covered.
- Spread peach and blueberry mixture on top of base. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture. Gently press mixture down.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
* You can also thinly slice the peaches rather than mash them.