Get creative and try these stuffed peppers as a healthy balanced meal for Halloween.
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 bell peppers (colour of your choice)
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 red, green pepper, each, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp shredded marble cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cook quinoa to package directions
- Clean the 2 bell peppers. Cut top off and save. Remove all seeds.
- In large frying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and diced pepper, saute until translucent
- Add spinach and saute for a couple more minutes until limp.
- Add spices and mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes
- Add 3/4 cup cooked quinoa and pasta sauce. Mix well
- Fill peppers with quinoa mixture. Place on lined cookie sheet. Add top of pepper back on before baking to avoid having your ‘stuffing’ dry out (If you have left over mixture, save and enjoy with a salad or in a wrap)
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until peppers are tender
- Optional: sprinkle with shredded cheese
- Cook extra quinoa and save in fridge and add to salads for lunch.
- Buy beans in the freezer section if you don’t know what to do with the rest of the can. Just check the ingredient list to make sure it is just beans