Like pumpkin and looking for a new dinner idea? Give this pumpkin and lentil pasta bake a try and I promise you will not be disappointed!
Full with lentils, pumpkin, pasta, cheese, and other veggies, this balanced meal is full of fiber and protein!
Pumpkin and Lentil Pasta Bake
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup penne (or any short) whole wheat pasta
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 454 g white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 3 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1-15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook lentils according to package directions.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent. Add celery and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly tender. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- In a large bowl, add lentils, pasta, pumpkin, vegetable mixture, spaghetti sauce, and cheese and mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Spray a 8 x 8 casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour mixture into dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes.