Looking for a quick meal idea you can toss together quickly on busy nights? I can tell you first hand that it can be difficult to continue to eat healthy when your life gets busy. However, doing a bit of meal planning (see Meal Planning and it’s Beneficial Impact) can help you stay on track and properly energized, allowing you to tackle those busy days without always feeling tired. These fajita bowls are a well balanced meal and are great for lunch or dinner!
Chicken Fajita Bowls
- 1 boneless-skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 each red and orange bell peppers
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- fresh tomato
- Blue Menu Tzatziki yogurt dip
- 2 Tbsp shredded cheese (optional)
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch thick strips.
- Cut bell peppers and onion into thin strips. (you can use whatever colour of peppers you prefer)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until cooked thoroughly. Use end of spatula to break chicken into bite size pieces.
- In small dish, add spices and mix all together. Add to chicken and stir until chicken is evenly coated.
- Add cut onion and peppers into skillet and saute for about 5 minutes or until peppers are slightly softened and onions are translucent. If you like your peppers soft, cook longer.
- Add spinach, rice, and 3/4 cup fajita mixture into bowl. Sprinkle cheese on top. Top with diced tomato and tzatkiki sauce and enjoy!
You can easily enjoy this as a wrap as well, rather than in a bowl. If you are choosing to have it in a wrap, I recommend whole wheat wraps and removing the rice.
- If you are in a time crunch and don’t have any rice made, a great product that is not only convenient but also nutritious are the Blue Menu rice pouches. After just a couple minutes in the microwave, they are ready to serve.